Why do we do

Waveney One

Jan 8, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Today ! had 40 fish, mostly roach, for 33lb 8oz. All on the feeder. Two of the better roach that I grabbed to weigh were 1lb 12oz each! I think I probably had three roach less than 6oz. All the other fish were 10oz or more. All caught on the feeder. There are a couple of photos on my Facebook page. Richard Watson.

My travelling partner and I had brilliant day's fishing on the River Yare downstream of the Beauchamp Arms. Permanent peg 85 for those who know the river. The conditions weren't brilliant, a hard frost, bright sunshine, not a ripple on the river at the start then a north easterly into our faces. travelling the hours run up there my mate and I weren't very optimistic at all. The conditions were wrong, the fish will have moved on etc etc. We decided that we would give it a go as if you aren't there you won't catch! Following some dire winter league matches in October for years once it got to the end of September we stopped fishing that stretch until June. I, along with other regulars on the river, explained that the fish all moved upstream to the riverside rd stretch in Norwich City Centre. True, it was brilliant fishing there for roach on the pole and occasionally if the river coloured up after rain then the bream fed. However the last two or three years a few of us have fished the Beauchamp Arms stretch in matches and pleasure fishing. Certainly in matches it can still be very hard but pleasure fishing and matches when conditions are right it can be brilliant like today. The fish are there to be caught but have I and my Yare companions missed out on years of brilliant fishing just on people's say so and a couple of poor winter league matches? So why do we take people's word for how somewhere is fishing or not and where is it worth going?

Get out there and give it go.,

Waveney One

Jan 8, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
The trouble with rivers, especially tidal rivers like the Yare it can be brilliant one day and rubbish the next. You have to take the rough with the smooth. I just wonder how many days like yesterday I have missed over the years. The last three years we have had plenty of days like that. The best, two years ago when my mate and I both had over 40lb and I had my best roach of 2lb 5oz. Those two fish yesterday will probably be over 2lb by March with a bit of spawn in them.

Merce

Feb 1, 2009
Cheshire
I love river fishing. And as you say, if you can choose your day then you can have fantastic sport.

For me, the problem is when it comes to organising matches. These always have to be organised months in advance, to allow people to book on etc. By the time match day arrives, the weather is a lottery, or as you say the fish could easily have moved. I've lost count of the times we've organised river matches, only to be scratching our heads two days before as the river is flooded, or the fish haven't showed on the stretch we've booked. Having an alternative venue is fine, but of course you have to leave it late before deciding, and when you do switch you get the inevitable moans ("got the wrong bait", "got the wrong rigs", "I think the river was fishable and wouldn't have switched it" etc).

I think we (Poolfodder) and us had 10 consecutive Christmas Matches on the Weaver. I'd say 2 fished well, we switched 2 to alternative venues, and we had 6 shocking rivers (loads of blanks etc).

Just too unreliable for me. Good for pleasuring though!

Waveney One

Jan 8, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Quite right Merce. Always a bit of a lottery when booking matches for the calendar. This years teams of three on the R. Thurne at Martham and Potter Heigham was a disaster in three matches out of four. Last year on the same dates the river was full of fish as it was on the first match of this years series. 55lb won it, mostly roach and double figures only got you halfway or less up the section. The next three matches there were loads of blanks some sections were total blanks and an ounce got you mega points. The fish just moved. I was fortunate and only suffered one blank but lots of guys had three out of four blanks. Still the banter is always good when peopl are blanking.

Dec 18, 2015
Brigg
I generally only pleasure fish. Just a handful of matches a year. However, most of my angling buddies are match anglers so I glean as much information from them as possible before planning a pleasure trip. These lads are good anglers and I can trust their advice. If they say that the fish are currently at X then they invariably are. I then look at the weather forecast and plan my trip accordingly. It really helps, on rivers, if you can get first hand and up to date information.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk