Spooling Braid?

amo

Dec 31, 2008
Stoke On Trent
Mike I just put the braid straight on the spool I use 300 metre spools of braid I get from China on eBay it £6 a spool takes 10 days to arrive but defo worth the wait, all the tip lads I know use it and beats paying £20 for 100m from certain UK manufacturers!

Spruce

Dec 18, 2015
Brigg
Does anyone soak their braid for 24 hours before loading onto reel? I heard this would give a truer reflection of how it sits on the spool
Never had the need to. Buy decent braid, a decent reel with decent line lay, makes a huge difference.

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

Spruce

Dec 18, 2015
Brigg
I haven't used it personally but know plenty of people who have. Gets a unanimously good rating from them.

Big Steve

Jan 7, 2009
Windsor
Does anyone use the daiwa j braid x8? Any opinions of it?
Started using it this year Mike for my sea lure fishing and to date [Touch wood] have had absolutely no problems whatsoever with it ! Good price for an 8-strand braid, It casts well, is as strong as anything, knots well, no wind knots and seems to be handling the abrasion of shingle beaches very well, unlike some other brands which have frayed noticeably in the same conditions.

I don't pre-wet the spool before loading on the reel but that's not to say it doesn't work but I've just found no need to do it anyway.

Big Steve

Jan 7, 2009
Windsor
So what's the life span of braid? Would you just be looking for it starting to Frey etc before cutting it back a little to keep fresh?
Don't know to be honest Mike but if it started fraying I'd just reverse it ie wind the frayed end on to another spool so the fresher stuff is then at the business end. Not even sure if salt water effects it at all but I always rinse the reel, spool and lures under a cold tap after a session just in case !

Spruce

Dec 18, 2015
Brigg
Thanks for the replys fellas. So what's the life span of braid? Would you just be looking for it starting to Frey etc before cutting it back a little to keep fresh?
Will last for a couple of years...at least. As already suggested, if you have any doubts then simply reverse it. I have used the same braid for around 4 years in the salt for bass and never had any problems. The price doesn't seem so bad then. Especially considering that it's standard practice to change mono every season.

R

Redarmy

braid will last a long time mike ive got some reels with braid 8=10 years old on it,the original fireline lasted a good 10 years but it affected sales so they brought a newer version out which deterioates after about 3 years.ive never used j braid but have had a few match anglers tell me they were not impressed with it but the the evo tournament was very good

amo

Dec 31, 2008
Stoke On Trent
One of the reasons I subscribe as ask a question and you'll get top quality impartial advice from folk only too willing to pass on their experience.

You know it makes sense.

cheers

Amo

Nov 23, 2019
Lincs
Full Name
Richard Barrett
Don't some venues ban braid? I've only used it for feature finding when carp fishing, but found it knotted endlessly unless it was wet all the time. You can get low stretch mono that behaves much better on the reel than braid? JMO. Rich.