Spooling Braid?

Hathers

Jan 8, 2009
Stamford Bridge
Full Name
Mark Hathway
Its probably accepted that when adding Mono to a spool you should fill it to the lip of the spool to maximise casting and ease of use.

Should you do the same with Braid, especially the low diameters .008.10,12 ?

Can overfilling lead to wind-knots etc.....?

Hathers

Jan 8, 2009
Stamford Bridge
Full Name
Mark Hathway
my question is a genuine one . why use braid and what for ?????.
Add's metres to the cast and better bite detection, especially in winter for the shy biters in deeper water where the braided line is more direct to the tip and minimal if any stretch.

Can be a bar steward to sink and I've found it a problem in strong tows/flow.

Spruce

Dec 18, 2015
Brigg
Overfilling is a big "No No" with braid, particularly with the finer stuff. Another tip, after casting, close the bail arm manually and pull off a few inches to make sure it hasn't looped over the spool.

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

Spruce

Dec 18, 2015
Brigg
my question is a genuine one . why use braid and what for ?????.
I have used braid for many, many years. Tried a lot of different stuff but always the "higher end" stuff. Admittedly, I have only used it for lure fishing until very recently. All the attributes that I found in lure fishing have been transferred across to using it for feeder fishing. These are...virtually no stretch. You can feel everything, the slightest little sensation, wether it be weed snagging the hook, the lure/feeder hitting the bottom or bites, you really are in direct contact. Another of it's attributes is it's very thin diameter, you can get away with using less weight in strong flows and currents as there is less pressure on the braid, as opposed to thicker mono. It also casts further. Bites are easier to hit, particularly at distance, as there is no stretch to overcome. I will say that some of the stuff I have seen sold for feeder fishing by the bigger manufacturers I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, far too coarse for my liking. I get the 8 strand Japanese stuff. I appreciate that not everybody will be prepared to pay those sort of prices but to me it's worth it. Wouldn't go back to mono for lure or feeder fishing under any circumstances.

R

Redarmy

definately dont fill spool completely leave braid about 1/8th inch shy of the lip of the spool ,also make sure you keep the braid wet prior to and during fishing.

amo

Dec 31, 2008
Stoke On Trent
Hathers you are spot on as a couple of seasons ago I had an issue with one make of braid and wind knots causing me to break a couple of quiver tips!

I now don't overfill the spool probably slightly underfill compared to mono but the one thing I always do now is spray my spool of braid with diluted washing up liquid before I first cast in, this ensures the braid is fully wetted which I think contributed to my issue.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Amo

PS: I've been using the cheap braid from China which is £6 a spool for 300 metres off eBay.

Toplights

Jan 13, 2009
West Molesey
Full Name
Malcolm Heaver.
Having had a very brief flirtation with braid many years ago I have seen the benefit of its use recently (being 10yds short of Hathers lol). Any tips on its use would be a great help to me and other "Braid Virgins". Interesting thread.

herbie

Jan 7, 2009
Trowbridge, Wiltshire
Full Name
Irvine Michael Hornby
I have used braid for many, many years. Tried a lot of different stuff but always the "higher end" stuff. Admittedly, I have only used it for lure fishing until very recently. All the attributes that I found in lure fishing have been transferred across to using it for feeder fishing. These are...virtually no stretch. You can feel everything, the slightest little sensation, wether it be weed snagging the hook, the lure/feeder hitting the bottom or bites, you really are in direct contact. Another of it's attributes is it's very thin diameter, you can get away with using less weight in strong flows and currents as there is less pressure on the braid, as opposed to thicker mono. It also casts further. Bites are easier to hit, particularly at distance, as there is no stretch to overcome. I will say that some of the stuff I have seen sold for feeder fishing by the bigger manufacturers I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, far too coarse for my liking. I get the 8 strand Japanese stuff. I appreciate that not everybody will be prepared to pay those sort of prices but to me it's worth it. Wouldn't go back to mono for lure or feeder fishing under any circumstances.

thanks i would be interested in the make of braid you buy and also how easy is it to say use a swivel as in tying knots

Hathers

Jan 8, 2009
Stamford Bridge
Full Name
Mark Hathway
Ta chaps, I too have an issue following the cast and mending any bow in the line with the limp braid over lapping the spool/ reel as Spuce describes.

Spruce

Dec 18, 2015
Brigg
Herbie, I generally use YGK G-SOUL WX8, don't buy the (cheaper) stuff from the same manufacturer that is labelled "upgrade"...it isn't. Another great braid is Varivas Avani Sea Bass Max Power. Also Sunline Castaway, all of these I have used for years and never had a problem. A lot of people use the cheaper stuff, PowerPro being a good example. Nothing wrong with it but I just prefer the finer diameter found on the top end stuff. Wether that is needed for feeder fishing is debatable. Cheaper alternatives, and very good, are Daiwa "J" braid and the Sufix 832 8 strand, I have spooled up a reel with the latter and found it great for my feeder fishing. It's a lot cheaper than some I mentioned and is highly regarded by those in the know. 8 strand in any of the products is the key. It's limper, and simply better to fish with than the 4 strand stuff.
I have found no need to wet braid either when initially spooling it or when fishing. Although I suppose giving it an occasional squirt with diluted washing up liquid will help it to sink, I simply haven't found the need to do so.
When spooling it I always put a few yards of mono on first. If not and you put the braid directly onto the spool it can slip. I always wind it on tightly and as mentioned do not overfill the spool. Around 5 millimetres from the lip is generally about right. As regards to knots...a Palomar is great for attaching to swivels etc. For joining braid to mono, I can't see past the FG knot.
https://youtu.be/pjzUb5QRKuk
You can use others like the Albright, modified Albright, Double Grinder/Uni knot. The choice is yours. The key things to remember are to close the bail arm manually and pull off a few inches of braid to ensure it hasn't looped over the spool after every cast. Try and keep a bit of tension on your braid and avoid it billowing around. All this sounds a bit of a chore but soon becomes second nature. Once you have tried braid I am sure you won't go back to mono.

amo

Dec 31, 2008
Stoke On Trent
Hathers: I had similar issue so was put right by a couple of lads I now use either 8lb or 10lb minimum breaking strain braid and it sinks no problem.

I think if you use the 4lb stuff it's too light and won't sink no matter what you try.

Give the heavier BS versions ago and hopefully you be OK.

cheers

Amo

Last edited:

Spruce

Dec 18, 2015
Brigg
Hathers: I had similar issue so was put right by a couple of lads I now use either 8lb or 10lb minimum breaking strain braid and it sinks no problem.

I think if you use the 4lb stuff it's too line and won't sink no matter what you try.

Give the heavier BS versions ago and hopefully you be OK.

cheers

Amo
4lb... Jeez, that IS light. Does anybody use that stuff, seriously? The lightest stuff I use is around 8lb and that is for LRF/perch fishing. No matter what knot you use it is a weak point and can reduce the breaking strain considerably. As you say, the stuff around 10-12lb b.s. is fine. On the top end stuff you can use 20lb+ stuff and it's as fine as the cheaper stuff.

Hathers

Jan 8, 2009
Stamford Bridge
Full Name
Mark Hathway
This is all great stuff and helps with my re-introduction to Braid that I lasted used properly (with a lot less info) pre 2008.

I'm currently using Daiwa Tournament Braid in 0.10mm which is a PE#0.8 at 14.7lbs according to the spool. I use an 8lb Shimano Technum Leader using an albrighton knot to Mono

herbie

Jan 7, 2009
Trowbridge, Wiltshire
Full Name
Irvine Michael Hornby
Spruce

brilliant answer . we need this kind of discussion , i really enjoyed reading this as its something here in the south west we rarely use (long chuck with a feeder). i take it braid is mainly used for bream?, how does it fare with carp??

Big Steve

Jan 7, 2009
Windsor
Mark, I've been using Daiwa J-Braid for all my sea lure fishing in 26lbs BS this year and it's as fine as the 10lbs BS stuff I was using for feeder fishing 10 years ago ! Some useful tips on here so far ie don't fill to the lip, give a little tug after the cast [because those loops over the spool are bl**** annoying], etc, etc. Feathering the feeder down will eliminate some of the bow forming problems but you won't get rid of it completely over long distances and if it's windy you WILL get a bow whatever you do as the stuff is just so light.
The FG knot is proven to be the best strength knot for joining braid to mono but is difficult to do on the bank so I tend to use either a double uni-knot or a micro-swivel with a palomar knot - bear in mind though I'm only using about 24" of fluorocarbon as a leader rather than a long shock-leader otherwise the swivel would be a no-no because of the eyes on the rod. I don't know how you get it to sink but then again I don't want it to as most of my stuff is surface or just sub-surface work and I want to be in direct contact with the lure all the time although on the odd occasion when I'm fishing a soft-plastic on the deck for Wrasse I never have any problems getting the braid to sink then. LOL.
Be prepared for split fingers though, not so much when casting but more when feathering the line and whatever you do if you get snagged up don't wrap the stuff around your hand and pull for a break as you'll take your fingers off !!!!

Big Steve

Jan 7, 2009
Windsor
i take it braid is mainly used for bream?, how does it fare with carp??
Herbs, given that braid on the feeder should be combined with a very soft rod I personally would never consider trying for carp on braided lines as you'd end up playing them forever and probably lose too many under your feet when they make the last-minute lunges. When I first experimented with Braid years ago on the Thames even the Chub bites were too violent to prevent breakages on the mono leader but I must admit that having used braid a lot for my lure fishing over the last year I'm now quite tempted to give it another go on the river for feeder fishing to see if it makes any difference.

R

Redarmy

used 0.12mm guru pulse for a few years now with no problems at all still got the original braid on (3years)also know lads who swear by diawa evo tournament but its not cheap.

amo

Dec 31, 2008
Stoke On Trent
Yes Mike I soak the braid in a bait box full of water overnight before putting it on the new spool, defo makes an improvement to how it loads on and sits on the new spool.

Plus before I cast out when I get to my peg I give it a quick spray with diluted washing up liquid saves getting the dreaded wind knots!

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Amo

Sep 21, 2011
bristol
Cheers amo. Do you put mono on the spool and then join braid to mono or braid straight on? If straight on, what knot do you use to attach as I know it can be a pain tying braid as it spins on the spool