Return to Fishing!

Mar 30, 2020
Liverpool
Full Name
Dave Young
I'm thinking about a return to fishing after a 10 year lay off.

I have all the gear and was using a Garbolino Super G10 pole and had loads of kits etc. My only worry is that I had a few breakages on this pole and was thinking of getting myself another pole to replace it.

Do I stay with Garbolino or move to say the Matrix MTX 4?

I am heavy handed and would need a pole fish-able at 16 m and strong enough for carp upto 10 lb max, mainly F1 fishing on snake lakes.

Cheers in advance.

RobB

Jan 5, 2009
Bollington
Full Name
Robert Bailey
It might be a good idea to stay with the G10 for now (new elastics) and see if you truly have the fishing bug again. A new pole is a big investment. The G10 was a great pole and I never broke a section... on a fish. I did brake some standing on em :eek:
Let us know how you get on and good luck.

Reactions: Ripsteen
Mar 30, 2020
Liverpool
Full Name
Dave Young
Thanks for the reply mate.
Still up in the air tbh and thinking back I'm sure my pole wasn't fishable and I would probably need new/repaired sections. If I don start again it would probably only be midweek matches anyway. I took all of my Mossella nets out at the weekend and they are still in perfect nick. All of my Mick Wilkinson floats etc still in working order. It's just the pole i think.
I don't mind paying out for the new pole as can do it on credit. But what pole would you be looking at for the style of fishing i would be doing?

alan(wrexham)

Feb 24, 2009
Wrexham
Full Name
Alan Williams
Hi.
Poles,as you've probably heard before,is a personal choice. What perfect for some are not for others.
What I would do is check reviews off various manufacturers, catchmore media etc or even blogs put up by individuals. Fishing4u has put a few up over the last few weeks. Narrow it down to 2 or 3 that you feel suited the style of fishing you'll be doing. Go to a tackle shop that has them in stock and have a feel of them.
I've been doing this and narrowed it down to 2 I'll be looking at, matrix mtx3 and map 801.
Good luck.

RobB

Jan 5, 2009
Bollington
Full Name
Robert Bailey
This was a good old review about your pole. I still use the G1000 as it dose everything I want from it. And all my tops from my old G10 fitted. Think Ruddy has M1 and he raves about it. You can pick these poles up at a good price as they are classed as old now lol. All depends on your budget and what you want the pole to do. We are all different. Good luck with your search.

Ruddyroach

Feb 25, 2009
Runcorn cheshire
Full Name
Steven Parker
I use more often than not my back up power pole as I'm heavy handed . I leave m1 in bag for fishing long . Got a margin pole that I use most in summer

Mar 30, 2020
Liverpool
Full Name
Dave Young
Going to get the G10 out this weekend and check the sections but if my memory serves me it had a number of pending sections to be repaired from when I used it last.
If I do take it up again its going to be fishing matches again, probably at either partridge or Blundells and I will be sticking to those venues. Does anyone have the MTX3 pole and is there a difference with the MTX4?

alan(wrexham)

Feb 24, 2009
Wrexham
Full Name
Alan Williams
Hi m8.
Put matchfishingmagazine into youtube. Theres a good review off Joe Carass on the mtx3 pole.
The question you need to ask yourself is how much 16m fishing you'll be doing. If occasionally then mtx3 will suffice. If on the other hand blundell and partridge are mostly 16m,then the extra cost for mtx4 is worth it. Try to find a shop with both poles in so you can see how they handle at long lengths.
Good luck

Mar 30, 2020
Liverpool
Full Name
Dave Young
Hi m8.
Put matchfishingmagazine into youtube. Theres a good review off Joe Carass on the mtx3 pole.
The question you need to ask yourself is how much 16m fishing you'll be doing. If occasionally then mtx3 will suffice. If on the other hand blundell and partridge are mostly 16m,then the extra cost for mtx4 is worth it. Try to find a shop with both poles in so you can see how they handle at long lengths.
Good luck
Looks like a good pole. Need to find a shop in the NW that stocks them. Cheers