possible canal match

Sep 14, 2009
sw herts
Full Name
Simon Pavey
Not to mention the chub! Earlier this year a match was won with 4 chub for 21lb....There's all sorts in there including big perch, carp, roach and gudgeon.
basically it's a canal and its wild fish. Marmite springs to mind....

Colin, the bridge is beside the road where we park, it maybe tight with 18 fishing but it isn't too far to walk..

Last edited:

AllanB

Aug 26, 2010
Potters Bar , Hertfordshire
We used to fish there a fair bit. Since the EA chopped down most of the trees it been quite poor and as a result it now been dropped. Last match was won with 2 bream for 8lb odd although pleasure sessions produce loads of bream and some carp too. Tring stretch is good. Towpaths are wider but access is down steps so bit of a pain but less issues with cyclists.

I've fished the Lea a bit this year and had bream to around 5lb and plenty of roach and perch. In the summer you could see the bottom but if you put bait in the bottom would be teeming with silvers within a few minutes. Those big perch are feeding on something to get so big !

I think the fishing would be similar on both. Not easy but challenging and plenty of bits and the odd bonus fish.

I'm at Marsworth tomorrow so let you know how we get on.

AllanB

Aug 26, 2010
Absolutely abysmal again today. My main club has dropped the venue as its declined a great deal and today 2-3lb was a very good weight. I had 4 fish for 3 oz !!!! As you went left from the bridge the weights dropped quite dramatically. Best weights from the right side of the bridge. Nearly all gudgeon , the winner had mainly skimmers, roach and perch.

gooner67

Jan 4, 2012
waltham abbey
Absolutely abysmal again today. My main club has dropped the venue as its declined a great deal and today 2-3lb was a very good weight. I had 4 fish for 3 oz !!!! As you went left from the bridge the weights dropped quite dramatically. Best weights from the right side of the bridge. Nearly all gudgeon , the winner had mainly skimmers, roach and perch.
I take it you wont be on the match then Allan ?
its strange as I have fished this section a lot in the last two years both winter and summer and have found it consistently good with 4lb (150/200 fish) a decent average to take

AllanB

Aug 26, 2010
Not at this stage. I much prefer the Tring stretch. Far better head of roach and more sheltered but the steps and parking are not as good.

Does seem the fish group up quite tightly and it you are 100 yard either side of the shoals you can really struggle.