Perseverance pays off for stunning river roach brace

Neptune

MR Admin
Staff member
Oct 24, 2008
Staffordshire
Full Name
Paul Longshaw
ROY JONES recorded one of the best river roach braces for ages when he took these stunning redfins of 2 lb 12 oz and 2 lb 4 oz from the Hampshire Avon.

Roy Jones displays his fantastic brace of Avon roach.

The retired warehouseman said: “I fished the middle Avon for three days in the wind and rain, struggling for a bite. The first two days I just had just one 12 oz roach.

“On the last day, the wind and rain was blowing again and I didn’t know whether to go home or fish on.

“So I went on the tip, as it was too windy for the float. I fished the block-end feeder with double red maggot on a 16 hook to 3 lb line.

“There was a bit of colour in the river, and I felt I might be lucky.

“I had some nice dace from the off up to 11 oz and then the tip went round and I was playing a big fish.

“When it came to the net, it was ‘panic stations’, it was the biggest roach I’d ever seen.

“I got it on the bank and I weighed it straight away. It went 2 lb 12 oz, a new PB – I was over the moon.

“I went back out on the feeder and 15 minutes later I was into another big fish. I couldn’t believe it when it came to the net – another big roach of 2 lb 4 oz.

“I had a few more dace through the day and the odd chub to 2 lb but I could see the rain was on the way so I took some pictures and called it a day,” concluded Hertford, Hertfordshire-based Roy.

GOT SOME NEWS OR VIEWS TO SHARE? Email info (and any photos) to: anglersmail@ti-media.com

Big value subscriptions to Angler’s Mail magazine are now at a January Sale Bargain Price! Get the deals here
fal.cn/SI7K

You’ll then get Angler’s Mail magazine delivered to your door, or the door of a friend/relative. And it’s at discounted rates… to suit all pockets.

There are great deals for the print version and the digital version too.

You may also like to read these Angler’s Mail stories…

5 winter roach tips

I DON’T know what happened to autumn this year. It still felt like summer a few weeks ago and now…

Avon Roach Project match sees giant 3 lb-plus redfin!

River ace Mark Everard recorded the biggest roach ever in the annual fundraising match for the Avon Roach Project with…

Biggest river roach for years

Josh Fisher, who is sometimes seen in John Bailey’s Angler’s Mail column, had persevered on the undisclosed river in southern…

Winter roach fishing tips

THE humble roach continues to be the nation’s favourite and it’s easy to see why. Many anglers cut their teeth…

Mega river roach

Mike, from Midhurst, West Sussex, tempted the awesome roach from a southern chalkstream on a short evening session. The 37-year-old…

Continue reading...