Old match fishing clip

jcolman

Apr 20, 2016
London
Great bit of fishing history. Now I know how to fish a match, turn up with rod, reel and a plastic bag, not a trolley full of gear.

C

colbrad41

Ha Ha the old Woodbine
I fished the Guden in 1971/72. I went with Tommy Blackledge (the guy blowing the whistle for the "all out")
I was working at the Wigan School of Art at the time.
Had some terrific catches of roach ,50/60lb was commonplace. Lovely medium flowing river.
The Lager was very expensive I recall at four times what you would pay in England
Happy memories
Did you spot Dickie Carr lol,Col

Dec 18, 2015
Brigg
Those old ABU closed face reels were/still are great for running water. Would it be the 506? A lot better than the Mitchell Match in those conditions. I always wanted to fish the Guden but never got round to it.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

C

colbrad41

Those old ABU closed face reels were/still are great for running water. Would it be the 506? A lot better than the Mitchell Match in those conditions. I always wanted to fish the Guden but never got round to it.

I had the earlier model.the 505 ,the red coloured reel,lol
Remember the Mitchel with the "dab" bale ??

amo

Dec 31, 2008
Stoke On Trent

I still use my Abu 506's lovely reels, I picked up 2 in mint condition about 18 months ago for £25 each plus the bloke I bought them off gave me a bag full of spare spools, covers and bits and bobs!

Dec 18, 2015
Brigg
I had the earlier model.the 505 ,the red coloured reel,lol
Remember the Mitchel with the "dab" bale ??
Aah, that's right. I had one as well. Had the helical star drag. Red spool cover/black body. I mentioned the Mitchell "dab" reel, it was the Match. Tremendously popular but a pain on running water. Took far too long to close and engage the bail arm when trotting.

C

colbrad41

I still use my Abu 506's lovely reels, I picked up 2 in mint condition about 18 months ago for £25 each plus the bloke I bought them off gave me a bag full of spare spools, covers and bits and bobs!
I agree.Had some carbon spools turned for mine by a mate,Still use them on the river from time to time .

Les H

Mar 14, 2011
Nantwich
Full Name
Les Hobson
Ha Ha the old Woodbine
I fished the Guden in 1971/72. I went with Tommy Blackledge (the guy blowing the whistle for the "all out")
I was working at the Wigan School of Art at the time.
Had some terrific catches of roach ,50/60lb was commonplace. Lovely medium flowing river.
The Lager was very expensive I recall at four times what you would pay in England
Happy memories
Did you spot Dickie Carr lol,Col
Col,
I think one of our club anglers won it that year with around a ton, all caught on rod and line with a centre pin reel. His name was Malcolm Wrigglesworth, he won a lot of money for that match and in true Yorkshire style never even bought a cup of tea for those he travelled with!