MFS matches and yearly update.

A big thank you from me to Brian and all the other people who helped to organise the pairs and to all who fished and kept the "not to serious" theme of the event going. The banter was as expected brilliant to witness and it was great to see everyone mucking in and helping to weigh in as quickly as possible. One thing that only came to light when I was chatting with Roy on the morning of the first day was that we could have used as many of his lakes as we wanted. This explained Roy was simply because the fishery was closed to anyone other than us MFS members. Perhaps if we go for the corresponding dates (Thurs/Fri) next year we could (with Roy's prior approval) spread out more to give everyone a better chance of a great couple of days fishing. The only thing I was a little disappointed about was that due to everyone being spread over several hotels etc some of the social element was lost compared to previous years but I guess where you stay is a personal choice. I found out a couple of days ago that Shorey 666 who was on peg 8 on day one had spent half the day waving at what he believed to be our friend Ross who he thought was watching us from a window in Roy's house only to find that Ross was actually still in hospital and that he had been waving at a lampshade in Roy's window.:):):):):)

Blobby

Jan 6, 2009
Manchester
Full Name
Ian Mason
In my view the Hillbilly pairs was a well run event. I liked the idea of two pools of competitors, seeded and un-seeded, I know my place. I thought it was a good idea to do the pairings on the chatbox before the event. I liked the idea of the blind teams of four too although I think the teams could be drawn live at the end of day one. That is if it doesn't cause too much hassle.

My thanks go to Hillbilly for sponsoring the event and for BGT for making it run smoothly and of course Herbie cos he's our leader.

My apologies go to Poolfodder for letting the side down on day two, all I can say is I had a 'mare!

I'm sorry I buggered off early too but I had to be up at 4.30 on Saturday and needed a bit of kip.

I'm looking forward to July when I can do it all over again:)

Whisker

Jan 2, 2015
Full Name
Ian Moakes
I liked the idea of two pools of competitors, I also know my place and in previous years I’ve not paid pools because I knew I didn’t stand a chance.

I may have missed out on a payment on the blind teams of four (no idea). I don’t hotel it so hot foot it back home to sort my gear and myself out ready for the next day. I’m not fishing for the money though, just love the Glebe. Roll on July!

Woody

Sep 16, 2009
Coventry
I enjoyed the 2 days and the new format TBH kept it tense right up until the end. Would just like to thank Wagman for carrying us to 3rd in the pairs ;):inlove::fishing::fishing::fishing:

herbie

Jan 7, 2009
Trowbridge, Wiltshire
Full Name
Irvine Michael Hornby
Would like to think we could all stay at the same digs, but over the years the shoot has one way or another alienated folks. I will have a look around for alternatives but to be honest cost will be a factor now, prem inn Leicester forest is cheap as chips, but also a dining pub with little in the way of social areas

Woody

Sep 16, 2009
Coventry
Would like to think we could all stay at the same digs, but over the years the shoot has one way or another alienated folks. I will have a look around for alternatives but to be honest cost will be a factor now, prem inn Leicester forest is cheap as chips, but also a dining pub with little in the way of social areas
Herbs, I'm fortunate that I only live 9 miles away from The Glebe, and only 2 miles along the A5 from The Shoot. I'm not aware of any other establishment in the area that offers what the Shoot can (I know the rooms are a bit ruff & ready) ie, decent social, food & beer and within decent travelling to the Glebe.
I'll keep my ear to the ground and if I hear of anything I'll post up details on here for all to see.

herbie

Jan 7, 2009
Trowbridge, Wiltshire
Full Name
Irvine Michael Hornby
Thank you woody . It is unfortunate that over the years the owners of the shoot did so much wrong to alienate so many. Me personally waiting to book in for 3 hours whilst no one bothered to open the office . Never again

Jads

Dec 2, 2008
Louth
herbs we stay at LFE Prem inn all the time now, we do a lot of overnighters on other events the rooms are spot on- the pub at the side has lots of outside seating and a big area of seats and stuff just for drinkers- I often get a double for under £40 and its 3 miles from The Glebe and IMO is better than the Marina one at Hinkley.

Hathers

Jan 8, 2009
Stamford Bridge
Full Name
Mark Hathway
herbs we stay at LFE Prem inn all the time now, we do a lot of overnighters on other events the rooms are spot on- the pub at the side has lots of outside seating and a big area of seats and stuff just for drinkers- I often get a double for under £40 and its 3 miles from The Glebe and IMO is better than the Marina one at Hinkley.
I also stayed here for first time. I liked Hinckley Marina (Ian front of house was great) but the food/bar is better at LFE as they at least have enough staff to deal with you.

Far better than The Shoot and Travel lodge.

Blobby

Jan 6, 2009
Manchester
Full Name
Ian Mason
Too late for us we're already booked into the 'Shoot for July.
I know it's a bit rough and ready and the rooms could do with updating but we have never had any issues with the place.
The food is your basic pub grub but the carvery is good value for what it is. They usually have some decent guest beers on and the brekkie is reasonable, although I did note that this time they had stopped the buffet breakfast.
When all is said and done it's a place to get your head down after a hard day's fishing and a few scoops. The craic was certainly better when more stopped.

herbie

Jan 7, 2009
Trowbridge, Wiltshire
Full Name
Irvine Michael Hornby
I think the problem with people and the shoot is a personal thing . Each one has a different gripe about many things they have experienced over the last 12 years. Its under new management as I understand but if my experience waiting to be served whilst three bar-staff ate crisps and giggled in the background is the norm , its got worse and things like that make me less likely to return

Lummox

Jan 8, 2009
Hertfordshire
Full Name
Ron Byus
Thought the whole Hillbilly Pairs event was awesome, the seeding of anglers worked well with many pairs very close at the end, this was a lot better than previous years when we saw top quality matchmen paired up and running away with the competition. The final placings were so close with many a fish or two from success.

If you are thinking of booking at a Premier Inn, the prices rise alarmingly if heavily booked.

Too late for us we're already booked into the 'Shoot for July.
I know it's a bit rough and ready and the rooms could do with updating but we have never had any issues with the place.
The food is your basic pub grub but the carvery is good value for what it is. They usually have some decent guest beers on and the brekkie is reasonable, although I did note that this time they had stopped the buffet breakfast.
When all is said and done it's a place to get your head down after a hard day's fishing and a few scoops. The craic was certainly better when more stopped.
If they only have a few booked for breakfast they don't do the buffet version for the fry up part. However there is always a good selection of other stuff like cereals, fruit, fruit juice etc to help yourself to along with as much tea/coffee and toast that you like. When more stay the full buffet is still done.

Hathers

Jan 8, 2009
Stamford Bridge
Full Name
Mark Hathway
Prem Inn - I paid £63.50 for a room, evening meal, pint of beer, cooked breakfast + Conti brekkie all you can eat. Room only was £40....... the rooms were quality for low budget and the staff at prem inns appear to have been through a proper customer service programme.