MFS matches and yearly update.

herbie

Jan 7, 2009
Trowbridge, Wiltshire
Full Name
Irvine Michael Hornby
when i took over the reigns i formed a team of people whose opinions i valued. steadied the ship ,and put forward what we could in the way of matches. i have zinky working tirelessly along with paul (neptune)doing the admin and tech stuff. then i have steady kenfish in charge of the dosh , and despite things being a bit hectic at home has done a brilliant job. my star man is bryan good tackle, he runs our matches like a professional, leaving me nothing at all to do. i also have my guru affers who i often turn too for advice and guidance. i also have two lads in the background who have my back , they being steve wynn and mark saunders . together this team has up to now performed magnificently, and i thank them from the bottom of my aging heart.

i do very little , i have no need too. i come up with ideas to make our matches interesting to all, pools wise that is. i have a philofosy that if you reward all your anglers , they will remain loyal. if you reward only the winners in life , then your left with a small group of winners. why am i telling you this?? . simple really the hillbilly pairs . in the past the stars usually won all the money as it is in most things, the better you are the more you win . i needed to spread the love in order for angler like myself to have a chance. so i decided after much consultation to split the field into two groups of 21 anglers, A being the good ones , and B being the wanabee's and noddies . that way we noddies were fishing against each other and not trying to beat pete bailey. lovely , the pairs were drawn from each group meaning a noddy or wannabe would be on the podium . also introduced a teams of 4 event, again two W/N were on the podium .

all this was explained 11 days before the event, but that did not stop one particular angler spoiling my day, by whinging . he had 11 days to call me for christ sakes, but no he had to ruin my day. this folks is why we have very few match organisers. we M/O's pay the same peg fees and pools as everyone else. we deserve a bit of respect on the day. the time to moan is prior to the event, and not at it. people will testify that if i am told someone has a problem with something; i always revisit and consider their point of view with all seriousness. i ask advice from people i respect, and if needs be change my mind if the point is valid. several people wanted the pairs drawn on the morning of the match , fair point and had i known that i would have had a poll to ascertain members views . but i was not informed until waiting to draw ?. why not ????. let me explain why i wanted it drawn beforehand. last year i came out of the hat last. i had to run around delivering scales and boards anglers had failed to take. by the time i got too my peg people were set up and wandering around . so i thought sod that. however if people want to do the draw on the morning , no problmo we will draw at 9 and fish 12 to 6 on day one, that way bryan and i won't have to scrabble about. 2020 pairs will if requested return to the original format , i have no problem with that, but i have to say i thought this years format worked a treat, you only have to look at the results to see that.
on the bright side i found a way of stopping pete bailey winning lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Whisker

Jan 2, 2015
Full Name
Ian Moakes
Great event Herbs, very well run this year, thanks to everyone involved in the organising. A personal observation, weigh ins on both days completed in record times this year.
A bit harsh labelling my partner Merce a noddy though...

Hathers

Jan 8, 2009
Stamford Bridge
Full Name
Mark Hathway
50 Brown envelopes were hopefully spread out amongst the 42 anglers. Bryan No Surname had his work cut out with a weight format for the teams and pairs where weight would obviously pay a part. I know to my cost how long that can take (and easy to make an error when ounces count) but he got it done pretty quick.

I wouldn’t change anything......if it’s not for you then there’s a choice....it is an online internet club after all.

Next up will be the Monks Pairs draw and it will be online in the chatbox at the end of June.

iansi

Ian Simpson
Jun 18, 2010
Wirral
In my opinion the seeding and draw prior to the day worked really well and resulted in a really close Pairs result rather than what has in the past been runaway victories.

Anglers dropping out late on meant the pegging was a little random in places, maybe worth considering a quick repegging before the draw. I think the Glebe pegging is easy so I’d be happy to help out, just need to consider not sealing the pegs. (I had both ends of the pegging spectrum, no spare peg Thurs and acres of room Fri and I appreciate it’s the luck of the draw!)

I’m not sure the teams added much if I’m honest, other than an extra headache for Brian, although maybe if they’d have been announced prior to the day one draw that may have added more ‘craic’ value!

Overall I’m with Hathers, I don’t think I’d change much if I’m honest.......the best bit remains the fact it’s the Glebe and it’s with mates!

Zinky

Administrator
Oct 17, 2008
Cheshire
Full Name
Chris Royle Esq
If it ain’t broke it does not need fixing
I agree with the comments re Bryan he does need more help. I will get together with Neptune to see what we can do to make it easy via some software.

RobB

Jan 5, 2009
Bollington
Full Name
Robert Bailey
I really enjoyed it. I dont think the team part was needed as its the Hillbilly PAIRS match. That would also cut down on Brian's tasks. But happy to fish any format to fish the Glebe with the MFS crowd.

herbie

Jan 7, 2009
Trowbridge, Wiltshire
Full Name
Irvine Michael Hornby
We will draw teams beforehand . Rob it gives 4 envelopes to people unused to receiving them to the value if £50pp. The danger to knowing the teams is if an outstanding team is drawn why would others bother to enter pools

Zinky

Administrator
Oct 17, 2008
Cheshire
Full Name
Chris Royle Esq
I was very impressed with the way it all went, Just a shame these days I can not join in old age has got the better of me, but that's life.
Congratulations to the Festival Team of MFS

RobB

Jan 5, 2009
Bollington
Full Name
Robert Bailey
Herbie the payouts was great as I said to SBW. No complaints there... in fact no complaints from me on any of it. Except some of them noddys where bl**** good!

iansi

Ian Simpson
Jun 18, 2010
Wirral
We will draw teams beforehand . Rob it gives 4 envelopes to people unused to receiving them to the value if £50pp. The danger to knowing the teams is if an outstanding team is drawn why would others bother to enter pools
Good point about knowing the teams influencing the pools, predraw them but only announce once everyone is paid on before the peg draw

Poolfodder

Nov 12, 2008
Well done Herbs and Bryan, enjoyed the two days don't change a thing. Anybody that whinges....tell them where to go, if they take it that seriously they need to fish elsewhere.
Congrats to Baz and Ron, good to see the pensioners at the top.
Big thanks to Hillbilly for his continued support.
Still think you should try for a Todber this year.

buygoodtackle

Administrator
Jan 8, 2009
Calne
www.wheatnotcasters.blog
Full Name
Bryan Jackson
To be honest the biggest help I could get is a table away from everyone! I sat in the car with the laptop doing the results- all sorted via excel, then it is just a bit of time to scribe the section and pairs winners on the sheets. But the car is fairly cramped to be honest.

herbie

Jan 7, 2009
Trowbridge, Wiltshire
Full Name
Irvine Michael Hornby
bryan i will take a look at options in july and come up with something i am sure. maybe someone could tell me who owns the tuck wagon next too the tent .
iansi one possibility is to make the pools £20 all in that way we could draw the teams on the day .

Zinky

Administrator
Oct 17, 2008
Cheshire
Full Name
Chris Royle Esq
Bryan we will look into some software to try and make life easy or find a non fisher to help out

Zinky

Administrator
Oct 17, 2008
Cheshire
Full Name
Chris Royle Esq
Can you send me a copy of your excel sheet and I will look at what can be done
One easy fix is to use kilograms as the units not lbs and ounces
I have a few ideas.

buygoodtackle

Administrator
Jan 8, 2009
Calne
www.wheatnotcasters.blog
Full Name
Bryan Jackson
No need- I have the weights converted in to ounces automatically to get the placings. The sheet works fine- once the draw is put in it and the weights added, it sorts all the points/sections and pairs and ranks them. The time delay is usually getting the boards back and inputting the weights, once the last board is back it is a matter of seconds for the result to be produced. I then jot down on pre-printed sheets the framers and the job is done. The team event is also done automatically- reading from the initial weight input and taking the lowest 3 weights and ranking the teams. As I said previously I would be quicker with a flat surface to work on! To put it into perspective the match finished at 5pm, I was one of the last away at 7pm, so the weigh in, packing up, input of results and paying out 50 brown envelopes was finished inside two hours

Last edited:

Hathers

Jan 8, 2009
Stamford Bridge
Full Name
Mark Hathway
Well done Herbs and Bryan, enjoyed the two days don't change a thing. Anybody that whinges....tell them where to go, if they take it that seriously they need to fish elsewhere.
Congrats to Baz and Ron, good to see the pensioners at the top.
Big thanks to Hillbilly for his continued support.
Still think you should try for a Todber this year.
I haven’t left the country Steve, I will keep your 100 pennies warm

Hathers

Jan 8, 2009
Stamford Bridge
Full Name
Mark Hathway
Bryan.....I think a few felt sorry for you having to work things out, but perhaps your like me and actually enjoy it.......too many cooks and all that!

TonyM961

Nov 30, 2017
Burgess Hill
Full Name
Tony Morris
I'm not too sure why anyone could have had a real problem with the format of this match. The pairs draw before the day is good and the seeding of the two groups and the groups fishing on the different pools sets it up for a closer match.
Like several others have said, i'm not sure the team event is needed in the Hillbilly pairs and whilst I fully understand it spreads the money you could pay an extra place or two on the pairs instead.

Perhaps the seeded teams of four format could be used in the other Glebe event.