Landing nets

RobB

Jan 5, 2009
Bollington
Full Name
Robert Bailey
On my recent visit to the wonderful GLEBE i had the misfortune of my landing net departing from the threaded bit (I wasn't the only one). I do lift from the spreader but I think they are a bad design/material. I also noticed that my Maver spreader block was the same as the Guru one so obviously made at the same place and re-branded. So what landing net do you chaps recommend?
Cheers in advance
RobB

kenfish

Administrator
Sep 14, 2009
Stevenage
Full Name
Ken Kendall
On my recent visit to the wonderful GLEBE i had the misfortune of my landing net departing from the threaded bit (I wasn't the only one). I do lift from the spreader but I think they are a bad design/material. I also noticed that my Maver spreader block was the same as the Guru one so obviously made at the same place and re-branded. So what landing net do you chaps recommend?
Cheers in advance
RobB
The Garbolino G-Style net has served me well

Oggy

Jan 29, 2009
Preston
Had the same issue with Prestons and noticed a lot of brands use the same plastic spreader block. Went for a Drennan Speedex 2 years ago and it's been faultless.

Les H

Mar 14, 2011
Nantwich
Full Name
Les Hobson
Just posted my 3 month old Preston net back too them because it was of no use to me. Same problem, good net crap spreader block. Asked them if they would like to replace it (don’t really want another) or refund my money. That was 10 days ago and not heard from them.

iansi

Ian Simpson
Jun 18, 2010
Wirral
Drennan Matchpro 18.....not fashionable these days but only replaced the original after about 8years abuse so bought 2 more.......bomb proof!

john milne

Jun 8, 2011
Cambridge
A few of us were having a conversation about this at the Monks 2 dayer as people had problems with Guru & Frenzee threads pulling out. They both used the same spreader block. Why can't net manufacturers use alloy blocks. Might add a quid or two onto the price of a net, but there would be less slagging off and happier anglers. Surely its about time the makers listened to what anglers want and not just make things they want to. Just look at the "darkside". Alloy spreader blocks change hands for good money and a lot of nets are made with them. Personally I have about 10 match landing nets, half with alloy blocks and the rest with plastic. The plastic ones live in my tackle cupboard for emergency use, but so far I haven't needed them. The alloy ones are still going strong. The blocks will probably outlive the mesh! Rant Over :)

iansi

Ian Simpson
Jun 18, 2010
Wirral
A few of us were having a conversation about this at the Monks 2 dayer as people had problems with Guru & Frenzee threads pulling out. They both used the same spreader block. Why can't net manufacturers use alloy blocks. Might add a quid or two onto the price of a net, but there would be less slagging off and happier anglers. Surely its about time the makers listened to what anglers want and not just make things they want to. Just look at the "darkside". Alloy spreader blocks change hands for good money and a lot of nets are made with them. Personally I have about 10 match landing nets, half with alloy blocks and the rest with plastic. The plastic ones live in my tackle cupboard for emergency use, but so far I haven't needed them. The alloy ones are still going strong. The blocks will probably outlive the mesh! Rant Over :)
100% agree plastic spreader blocks are a waste of time unless you're just catching silvers and small F1's.