Help required tying hooks to Flurocarbon

Waveney One

Jan 8, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Hi guys. I am having trouble tying my hooks to flurocarbon. No problem at all with normal mono as it seems a lot more slippery than the flurocarbon. Mind you I have yet to have a hook pull through the knot with flurocarbon carbon as it can if you don't properly tighten it with mono. Horrible that when you lose a fish and come back with a pig tail!

I use the Pro-tie hook Tier which comes with the black Matchman hook tier as standard. When you push the legs down and try to tighten the large loop left into the knot it is very hard to pull through and sometimes the hook comes out of the jaws of the hook tier first. when it does come through it almost sounds like it is grating. The same happens when pulling the tag end through.I wet the line when tying all my hooks but that doesn't seem to work.

I started off using Tubertini Gorilla hook length then moved to Drennan Supplex which seems a little better. In the summer I just use Preston Power line and that is really smooth.

I guess instead of wetting the line i could use petrolium jelly but i am reluctant to as i dont want the hooklength floating.

How do others do it?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2015
Brigg
Never had a problem tying hooks to fluoro. I use the Drennan hook tyer. Much prefer that to the Matchman.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Waveney One

Jan 8, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
I prefer the red Drennan hook Tier myself when on the bank but if you want identical lengths for your hooks then Pro-tie hook tier is brilliant. Maybe it is just me with flurocarbon hook lengths then but I find it a right pig to deal with.

Jan 7, 2009
IOW
groups.myspace.com
got to say have had no discernable problem with the drennan supplex fluoro using a drennan hook tyer (been using that fluro for two seasons for silvers now) - and i'm really crap at tying hooks!

Do recall years ago having trouble pig tailing with the older drennan fluro in the red/yellow spool and co-incidentally think i was back then using a matchman hooktyer before online shopping.

By the way, good to see you back on MF-S.:)

Waveney One

Jan 8, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Cheers witeangler good to back on cold days lol. Maybe I will have to forgo the precision of the Pro tie and go back to hand tying with the Drennan. After all what's a couple of millimetres on most hooklengths?

As a matter of interest Spruce, what flurocarbon line are you using?

MikeS

Jul 8, 2012
Fareham
I think the advice you maybe looking for is this.

Firstly try not to put your turns on too tight.
Wet the line a little and pull it through the loop very slowly. It sometimes helps if you use your fingers to guide it through so that the main line falls away from the spade.
Once the knot is made, check the whole knot pulls up tight by using the hook linked to an anchor point.

You may also find that you might need a slightly harder brand of shot such as Ballabeni. The softer shot brands such ZLT tend to slip. However, the hard shot does need to be applied with the correct pressure, if it bites too hard it will strip the fluoro coating from the line when you slide it along.

Jan 7, 2009
IOW
groups.myspace.com
interesting you say 'pro-tie' is that the same as ZT pro hookyting system? Asking because i have hassle getting consistent correct length/tensioned hook lengths and was seriously thinking of buying one. But if it cant tie fluoro then that would be a major flaw for me to not buy one?

Dec 18, 2015
Brigg
Cheers witeangler good to back on cold days lol. Maybe I will have to forgo the precision of the Pro tie and go back to hand tying with the Drennan. After all what's a couple of millimetres on most hooklengths?

As a matter of interest Spruce, what flurocarbon line are you using?
Drennan Supplex. I used to have a Pro tie, still do actually, but I have banished it to a far flung corner where it is gathering dust. Simply couldn't get on with it. Far too time consuming and erratic results. Although I grant that may be due to my sausage fingers.
Just as easy to get accurate and consistent hook lengths with a piece of board and a few nails. Pretty much the same as the system on the MAP hook length boxes.
It would appear that folk are either a fan of the Matchman hook tyer, or not. I aren't, much prefer the ease of use of the Drennan.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Jan 7, 2009
IOW
groups.myspace.com
weirdly, noticed some people having same problem on joe caresses f/book page. Guy said don't overtighten - which must be right as i never bother and just pull and push up the knot up the hook afterwards - ie because i'm slapdash /crap but in this case - it oddly seems to work.

Waveney One

Jan 8, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
interesting you say 'pro-tie' is that the same as ZT pro hookyting system? Asking because i have hassle getting consistent correct length/tensioned hook lengths and was seriously thinking of buying one. But if it cant tie fluoro then that would be a major flaw for me to not buy one?
No it is an earlier product. http://pro-tie.co.uk/ For getting your hook lengths to exactly the same length each time it is brilliant. As I say for mono that seems to be very slippery I have no problem at all. I guess I am probably putting the turns on under too much tension when tying Fluro. I will give it a go now using less tension.

Waveney One

Jan 8, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
weirdly, noticed some people having same problem on joe caresses f/book page. Guy said don't overtighten - which must be right as i never bother and just pull and push up the knot up the hook afterwards - ie because i'm slapdash /crap but in this case - it oddly seems to work.
Had a look on Joe's Facebook page, but couldn't see it back to early September though. An interesting read though so it was worth a look anyway.

Just used the hook-tier with less tension than before and it works a treat. Just need to get the tension just right I guess.

rufcpryor

Aug 2, 2013
Doncaster
With fluoro you need to be very careful when whipping the line around the shank of the hook. If it's too tight when you tighten the knot down and pull the line through the knot it will cause it to burn no matter how much split you put on it.
I also use the pro-tie hooktyer on most of my hooklengths but never when using fluoro, seems to put too much twist in the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk