Help, horrible spin up knots in line.

Oggy

Jan 29, 2009
Preston
I'm having terrible trouble with spin up knots in my line when feeder fishing to the point were several times I've had to chop out yards of line so I can fish on. Something is obviously spinning a lot and the feeder would be the first guess but no one else I fish with who uses the same feeders have any issues.

My set up is as follows;
Guru hybrid feeder (tried with short and long stem)
Prestons quick change beads
Drennan FD4000 reel (bail arm roller still spinning freely)
Daiwa Sensor 6lb line (was Middy M-Tech and still had trouble with knots)

Typically I'm only giving it a comfy 30 yard lob in water no deeper than 8 feet.

The line is always loaded by dropping the donor spool in a bucket of water and I dont see any issues with the line loading wrong like the line falling off the reel spool etc.

I cant think of anything in the set up that can cause the issues I'm getting but any suggestions will be welcome.

Zinky

Administrator
Oct 17, 2008
Cheshire
Full Name
Chris Royle Esq
Try a different feeder set up would be my first choice.
If no spin then it’s the rig
If you still get spin try a proper reel .:eek:

Andy G

Jun 22, 2009
In the rudd peg
Couple of things you could try.
Retrieve slower.
Use a snap swivel between to attach method to mainline (if allowed)
Glue your roller on the bale arm so it doesn't rotate
Buy a new reel

Jan 7, 2009
Windsor
Sounds like the feeder is spinning like a propeller on the drop [or more likely on the retrieve when it's empty !] so a snap swivel should overcome that issue.

Hathers

Jan 8, 2009
Stamford Bridge
Full Name
Mark Hathway
Don't think the swivel should make any difference. I use Hybrids with long stem with a Korum Bead at waters like Bough Beech at up to 15' deep.................It could be the diameter of the spool on your reel too many retrieves although with a 4000 reel it should be ok.

Oggy

Jan 29, 2009
Preston
Cheers for the thoughts guys.

I did suspect the hybrid was spinning on retieve but non one I know has the issues so I looked at the reel. The bail roller is moving fine although I cant really check that it is on retrieval under pressure. The spool size should be fine and isnt much different to a TDR as far as I can see.

If I cant sort it I might just have to use a spin doctor lead after each session to unwind the line. :rolleyes:

Jabjab

Julie Abbott
May 5, 2011
Notts
Are you using the clutch? If so that could be the issue. If you reel in when the clutch is giving line to a fighting fish this is how you get line spin/twist.

Oggy

Jan 29, 2009
Preston
Are you using the clutch? If so that could be the issue. If you reel in when the clutch is giving line to a fighting fish this is how you get line spin/twist.
Julie, I do use the clutch but I've only been skimmer fishing so it very rarely engages and then only for a fraction of a turn.

Oggy

Jan 29, 2009
Preston
Folks, I had a play with a few things over the weekend as follows.

First I tried using a Spin Doctor lead to see if I could remove some of the line twist but after 4 casts it seemed to be getting worse and that went up the bank.

So I changed the reel spool to one filled with new line the night before as I always do it. Instead of a Guru hybrid I used a Prestons ICS small 30g method with a Guru speed bead and after a good few hours fishing there wasnt any appreciable twist in the line (I left the rig hanging on about 8 foot of line and watched the feeder) and the feeder just span slowly a few times then stopped.

To sum up, from the advise above and some t'internet research it could have been; the feeder, the bead stopping the feeder spinning on the line on retrieve, the bail arm roller sticking, over use of the clutch, too small a reel spool or incorrect line loading. From that I'm happy some of the possible causes arent likely due to the style of fishing so for now I'll stick to the Prestons ICS small 30g method with a Guru speed bead and see how I get on.

Cheers.

Oggy

Jan 29, 2009
Preston
Dose anybody remember the horrendous line twist you got on a Daiwa 1657DM Reel, the only cure was to superglue up the line roller!

I have experienced line twist with a few cheap reels and could never cure it, not had a problem with newer Daiwas and Shimanos
I recall Keefy saying something along those lines a few years ago. Will bear in mind if nothing else works.