Garbolino pole advice

Kevin Collins

Jul 21, 2010
Bath
Hi, I am looking at buying a new pole and have narrowed it down to a choice between the Garbolino UK 3 Match Power 16 metre and a Garbolino UK 4 Power Carp 14.5 metre. Do any of you have any experience of using either/both of these poles please? If yes, what were they like to use?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Kevin

Ben Field

Oct 20, 2013
Cornwall
Full Name
Ben Field
Literally just received a UK4. From all the trade and tackle shows I've been to over the past couple of years, the Garbolinos have been the ones that have most blown me away and the ones that seem to constantly go unnoticed on forums and in the press. They're brilliant.

I fish mostly for silvers and rarely need more than about 11m. However, having owned a Browning Silverlite previously (which I reluctantly sold to pay some bills) the one thing about that pole was my constant worry for it in the old quarry pits that I fish. The banks are a coarse sand and very gravelly and poles are easily damaged and although a much more solid pole than the name suggests, I always worried about knocking it.

I went for the UK4 before because of that extra robustness and the fact that, this year, I'll be travelling outside of Cornwall a bit and fishing a few more matches on commercial style venues.

As a compromise however, I actually bought myself an extra SILVERS top 4 (6m) for the higher end UK1. I also got Garbolino to swap some of the power tops for match kits. So I now have the absolute best of both worlds (at least because I don't need 16m). They're on the same mandrel and the UK1 kit is MUCH lighter and stiffer than the one in the UK4 - which is obviously more powerful. I've not had it up at full length yet but I used to own a G-Max C1 and this is basically the same pole, just improved twice over having been badged as the newer Power Legion in between, and that was well fishable at full length. Although I believe Garbolino are also using a superior factory now as well. The finish is much better and the poles are stiffer. More along the lines of Browning or MAP. Just the Garbos are longer for the stated lengths...

The UK3 is obviously the very slightly lighter and longer pole, but I believe I made the right decision by going with the UK4 and then adding the UK1 top 4. The top 4's aren't cheap (I can even get you one through our shop) but I believe it was well worth me doing what I did considering the variety of fishing I want to do, with the majority being silvers orientated.

If you're constantly fishing very long for carp then I'd say go for the UK3. If you either don't need to fish long all the time, or want a best of both worlds like I did, the UK4 is obviously a lot cheaper for one helluva pole.

Last edited:

Kevin Collins

Jul 21, 2010
Bath
Literally just received a UK4. From all the trade and tackle shows I've been to over the past couple of years, the Garbolinos have been the ones that have most blown me away and the ones that seem to constantly go unnoticed on forums and in the press. They're brilliant.

I fish mostly for silvers and rarely need more than about 11m. However, having owned a Browning Silverlite previously (which I reluctantly sold to pay some bills) the one thing about that pole was my constant worry for it in the old quarry pits that I fish. The banks are a coarse sand and very gravelly and poles are easily damaged and although a much more solid pole than the name suggests, I always worried about knocking it.

I went for the UK4 before because of that extra robustness and the fact that, this year, I'll be travelling outside of Cornwall a bit and fishing a few more matches on commercial style venues.

As a compromise however, I actually bought myself an extra SILVERS top 4 (6m) for the higher end UK1. I also got Garbolino to swap some of the power tops for match kits. So I now have the absolute best of both worlds (at least because I don't need 16m). They're on the same mandrel and the UK1 kit is MUCH lighter and stiffer than the one in the UK4 - which is obviously more powerful. I've not had it up at full length yet but I used to own a G-Max C1 and this is basically the same pole, just improved twice over having been badged as the newer Power Legion in between, and that was well fishable at full length. Although I believe Garbolino are also using a superior factory now as well. The finish is much better and the poles are stiffer. More along the lines of Browning or MAP. Just the Garbos are longer for the stated lengths...

The UK3 is obviously the very slightly lighter and longer pole, but I believe I made the right decision by going with the UK4 and then adding the UK1 top 4. The top 4's aren't cheap (I can even get you one through our shop) but I believe it was well worth me doing what I did considering the variety of fishing I want to do, with the majority being silvers orientated.

If you're constantly fishing very long for carp then I'd say go for the UK3. If you either don't need to fish long all the time, or want a best of both worlds like I did, the UK4 is obviously a lot cheaper for one helluva pole.

Ben Field

Oct 20, 2013
Cornwall
Full Name
Ben Field
No worries. I think best way to look at it is that if you want to fish long, and/or didn't want to faff about like I did, I'd go for the UK3. I believe the UK4 with the UK1 top will be stiffer than either - hence why I did what I did - but if you were more commercial orientated and not so worried about having a robust silvers pole as I was then the UK3 will just do everything you ask of it - and most of it better than the 4.

Drmiggy

Jul 21, 2019
Northern Ireland
Full Name
Ian Grimes

Hi Ben

A year on and tell me did you make the right decision. I am at the point of looking for a new pole and like the choice you made. Should you have gone for the UK3 or did your combination do the trick.

Regards Ian

Ben Field

Oct 20, 2013
Cornwall
Full Name
Ben Field
Hi Ian. Yes! Still well happy with the UK4, 18 months in. It's done everything I've needed it for and I've not once regretted not having a higher model from the range. Especially with the UK1 sections, it's brilliant. At some point over the next 12 months I do plan on nabbing one of the new UK2 models just as a long term investment that will do me for a lot of years, but even then I know full well the benefits will only be felt one the very odd occasion that I fish longer to feel it.

Ben Field

Oct 20, 2013
Cornwall
Full Name
Ben Field
I think there's a newer one coming out. Definitely still in the catalogue. I saw a pic of one with new graphics the other day. I think it was the UK4 "Carp Maxim" or something like that.