Feeder fishing advice?

Nov 23, 2019
Lincs
Full Name
Richard Barrett
Guys. I'm talking bream fishing. When would you choose an open-feeder with a long hook-link, over a hybrid with pellets and short hook link please? My water is gin clear, and long distance to reach the fish. Thanks all for any feedback. Rich.

Feb 24, 2009
Wrexham
Full Name
Alan Williams
Rich, I'm by no means an expert,but I would first look at the type of water you're fishing.
If it's big wild lake with a big head of silvers/bream, chances are cage/ long hooklength is what's used there the most. You'll more than likely use natural baits with this set up.
If it's a water that holds a mix of bream/carp/f1s(Barston type venue) then a lot of fish will be caught using a hybrid type set up.
The 2nd thing to consider is time of year- in the warmer months chances they want feed and will attack a pile of bait,on hybrid, more aggressively. In the colder months when they aren't as active and sit off the feed. A longer hooklength would be of benefit then.

Nov 23, 2019
Lincs
Full Name
Richard Barrett
Alan, thanks and yes its the latter. I'll give the long hook link a try with an open end cage feeder and maybe the odd pellet in the groundbait. I'm thinking dead reds for bait and just a few in the mix for a visual effect?

RobB

Jan 5, 2009
Bollington
Full Name
Robert Bailey
Rich, I'm by no means an expert,but I would first look at the type of water you're fishing.
If it's big wild lake with a big head of silvers/bream, chances are cage/ long hooklength is what's used there the most. You'll more than likely use natural baits with this set up.
If it's a water that holds a mix of bream/carp/f1s(Barston type venue) then a lot of fish will be caught using a hybrid type set up.
The 2nd thing to consider is time of year- in the warmer months chances they want feed and will attack a pile of bait,on hybrid, more aggressively. In the colder months when they aren't as active and sit off the feed. A longer hooklength would be of benefit then.
Great answer Alan but agree with Ken. Try them both Rich and please let us know how you get on... good or bad :unsure:

Hathers

Jan 8, 2009
Stamford Bridge
Full Name
Mark Hathway
IMO you have to try both. Have a pleasure day and use 2 rods with two different set-ups AT THE SAME TIME. 9 times out of 10 they both work and you learn.........................not a lot!!!