Dead maggots.

Nov 23, 2019
Lincs
Full Name
Richard Barrett
Could anyone tell me the best way to make dead maggots. My local maggot farm sells them, but I don't know what they look like. Most time I've tried (left over bait) they come out looking awful. The pro's seem to get their maggots looking great. What is the trick please guys.

Thanks Rich.

buygoodtackle

Administrator
Jan 8, 2009
Calne
www.wheatnotcasters.blog
Full Name
Bryan Jackson
When I have done them I clean off any maize/sawdust/covering, place in a blue freezer bag and get as much air out as possible, tie it up and fast freeze in a chest freezer. The faster you can get them to freeze the better. Also I tend to do them in 1/2 pint lots rather than pints. I try to use fresh maggot if possible as they seem to do better.

Zinky

Administrator
Oct 17, 2008
Cheshire
Full Name
Chris Royle Esq
Freezer or hot water when on the bank,,, coke if you want them to float a little like a wafter

iansi

Ian Simpson
Jun 18, 2010
Wirral
I like to bag them once cleaned off and let them suffocate and effectively stretch before freezing.....never liked fast freezing them always found the stretched ones softer if that makes sense.

In summer I’ve caught on any old dead’s even black ones but Autumn, Winter, Spring fresher looking ones seem better

Oct 3, 2009
Chester
www.web46.co.uk
Ask for them in a bag with no air in at the tackle shop, stick them in the fridge then when you get on the bank, open them up and stick them in water straight away.

I've found frozen to be ok, but Ive had some I've defrosted, frozen, defrosted and then used.....they were absolutley manky but the fish loved them!
"Fresh" is best IMHO and dont neglect other colours not just reds too.
You can do the same with pinkies.