A Tale from China 2 by Gareth Jackson

buygoodtackle

Administrator
Jan 8, 2009
Calne
www.wheatnotcasters.blog
Full Name
Bryan Jackson
Having a bit of time to spare on a weekday morning, I decide to go to a river in Zhongshan to see what I could catch. There have been some heavy thunderstorms in the last few days, so rather than risking taking my bike and getting caught in a storm, I took the bus instead as I could always get a taxi home if the rain kicked off. I visited a river that I had been too many times. It is a small tributary of the main river and the water quality is much better than many rivers around here.

I arrived at the river at about 9am. The water was quite coloured when I arrived due to the thunderstorm rains we have experienced in the last few days. Luckily when I got to the peg I wanted to fish, I could see plenty of fish moving under the surface. The river is about 20 meters wide. There is a 5ft fence in front of the river and you are about 20ft up off the water, so it is a long way down. The depth is about 5-6ft. The main species is tilapia, but here are also many other species in here including some big catfish and grass carp. The weather was good, a nice cool 26C with a strong breeze.
View media item 344

Due to the fact I had taken the bus here, I decided to take my little telescopic rod which is 7ft in length, but can fold down in my bag on the bus very easily. I was due to fish swimstim paste on a 2BB waggler float set at mid-depth, about 2ft deep. Line was 0.12 to a 16 hook. I just used a small bit of paste on the hook and fish over a couple of balls of swimstim groundbait.
View media item 345

Then disaster struck. On my first cast my rod snapped into 2 pieces. I couldn’t manage to put it together, the top of the rod had become weak in a number of places by the looks of it. So now my rod I could use was 2ft long, the snap occurred just after the first eye on the rod. Now I didn’t know what to do, I didn’t really have time to go back home and get another rod. I decided to tough it out. Catching just a fish was now the target. I quickly realized that I couldn’t fish the waggler, there was a strong downstream wind and I could achieve no presentation. The rod wasn’t even long enough to reach over the water.

View media item 347
I changed to a link lead approach. I put a half ounce bomb on and decided to hold to line tight to see if I could detect any bites or fish. Unfortunately I kept going with this approach for 1 hour and not a single bite. I could see fish moving but they were all in the top 1ft of water. To get a fish I would need to get up in the water somehow. As this was happening another angler turned up and set up his swim about 2 meters away from me. The concept of personal space is very different here. It has happened many times to me before so I didn’t really bother at all about it, despite there being so much empty space on the river, this guy decides to fish right on top of me

View media item 343

So I went back on the float and fished just 4 inches deep, I couldn’t really cast it very far but managed to get it into the water. Presentation was so difficult, the wind was so strong now and just carrying the float wherever it pleased. Two hours had passed and there was a slight drop in the wind, I somehow managed a longer cast and then the float zoomed under. I struck with the remains of my rod and yes, a tiny tilapia on the end. To me this was a big achievement. I had met my goal, I caught a fish in these circumstances so I could go home happy. What an interesting and challenging fishing session
View media item 346

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: RobB

RobB

Jan 5, 2009
Bollington
Full Name
Robert Bailey
did the chap that was sharing his peg catch? Also when I click on the pics for a better view it says.... You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

RobB

Jan 5, 2009
Bollington
Full Name
Robert Bailey
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.... On all pics. The two bigger ones are now the same size as the broken rod and fish.

RobB

Jan 5, 2009
Bollington
Full Name
Robert Bailey
Yes the pics are a good size in the article now. And when you click on them it works :thumbsup:..... However if you click on them as the attachment at the bottom of the article it come up with....You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action. Hope this helps.