A call to Arms...

Zinky

Administrator
Oct 17, 2008
Cheshire
Full Name
Chris Royle
What a title......Last Man Standing, but in this day of PC the title should be Last Person Standing

herbie

Jan 7, 2009
Trowbridge, Wiltshire
Full Name
Irvine Michael Hornby
time to put this " your doomed" claptrap to bed. to understand fully where we are now , you have to have been there in the beginning . for me it started with total fishing club £25 a year membership , with very few visible rewards. however it did open we UK wide anglers to a place called " the Glebe" and " Barston". not to mention places like alders farm and eventually "Stafford Moor". we had our annual visit to draycote and the river thames at runnymede. we also got to take part in nationals and formed quite a good following. however as with all things people get dissatisfied with the direction of TFC, and left to form MFS, taking 99% of the following with them.
in the early years of MFS thanks mainly to "le tits" champion league, things were very hectic as we all chased points. it was new and a talking point. matches were quickly oversubscribed . so what happened???. WELL as with all things in this world, life moves on. of the original gang ( to my knowledge) only pikes, affers, rickstar and myself remain active. the rest are now doing other things like grandkids and relationships with the opposite sex AKA the enemy of angling. some run pubs , others went away and built their own fishery, some play in a band , they play golf, some even reached the top by winning a big comp. most just got old, now age is a funny thing, whilst you like fishing , you find not wanting to travel 200 miles becomes an issue, so you quietly disappear from view. its not intentional but just happens without you actually realising it.

SO with the site slowly becoming a south east based site, and the then administrator taking his eye off the ball , the inevitable happens, as it did previously. people move on, they formed another site , free to all but alas mainly again south east. that is the way it is, whatever people come up with , that will not change. in the S/E you have 90% of the country's top match venue's, well supported because the fishing is top class, so therefor people want to be a part of that match scene. the remainder have all either quit fishing or gone elsewhere as i have previously stated.
what will happen however is someone will come up with something different, and people will move on , that's the way of the world and always will be. so i say to the facebook followers enjoy your time and gather memories, they will not last no matter what you think.

what are we left with ???. well as you have read above not a lot. our base has moved on/ grown old, we that are left will like all old soldiers will carry on until our bodies give up, we will concentrate on our 6 annual events where possible, and enjoy each others company, much like old reunions. our next venture is the annual freeze fest at the moor, its 20% about fishing and 80 % about the gettogether nowadays for most of us. lots of food and drink and going out to the draw wearing 4 coats with a hangover.

what can we do to promote this site beyond its current boundaries. ???
sadly without a major injection of prize money, very little. so folks just enjoy what you have, you will never have it again. MFS is a one off, and i have loved every minute and everyone involved. i have got to know some terrific people and quite a few ass@oles, in my phone i have 400 names 75% anglers i have met on MFS/TFC, at anyone time i can call each and everyone and be greeted as a family member. you cannot buy that, its what MFS gave me, and i treasure that above all else in this world.
so just be happy with what you have and rest assured until the band of administrators pass on , this site is secure.

Zinky

Administrator
Oct 17, 2008
Cheshire
Full Name
Chris Royle
Nice reply Herbie, but old is good especially when I get my heating allowance, cheaper angling club membership OAP rates for day tickets.

Hathers

Jan 8, 2009
Stamford Bridge
Full Name
Mark Hathway
Oh so True.... I even got to like Scoucers & Mancs, as well as the Midland Inbreds. There are some very nice people involved in theses regular events........I can assure you I wouldn’t run matches if you were all a bunch of C**T*, Big Si excepted!!!!

MFS is a one off, and i have loved every minute and everyone involved. i have got to know some terrific people and quite a few ass@oles, in my phone i have 400 names 75% anglers i have met on MFS/TFC, at anyone time i can call each and everyone and be greeted as a family member. you cannot buy that, its what MFS gave me, and i treasure that above all else in this world.
so just be happy with what you have and rest assured until the band of administrators pass on , this site is secure.

alanmac

Mar 27, 2009
Gateshead
Full Name
Alan McGuire
What about Northerners Hathers !! Well Geordie’s, Lewy is half Geordie cos he’snot From the toon but near by, can’t all be perfect.

Well said Herbs, onwards and upwards.

Hathers

Jan 8, 2009
Stamford Bridge
Full Name
Mark Hathway
Alan, I can’t include people from Redcar who say they are from Stockton.........Buy me a pint at the Moor and I will include you for next year as long as you show up

Jeff D

Jeff Driscoll
Mar 4, 2009
Royal Eltham se9
Glad to hear things will be carrying on Herbs.
I look in everyday and enjoy catching up with mates.
We are lucky in the south east to have some great match organisers.

alanmac

Mar 27, 2009
Gateshead
Full Name
Alan McGuire
Now now, on my death bed and showed up although went straight home, will certainly buy you a pint mate and yes Stockton Redcar is seriously South of the toon.

iansi

Ian Simpson
Jun 18, 2010
Wirral
time to put this " your doomed" claptrap to bed. to understand fully where we are now , you have to have been there in the beginning . for me it started with total fishing club £25 a year membership , with very few visible rewards. however it did open we UK wide anglers to a place called " the Glebe" and " Barston". not to mention places like alders farm and eventually "Stafford Moor". we had our annual visit to draycote and the river thames at runnymede. we also got to take part in nationals and formed quite a good following. however as with all things people get dissatisfied with the direction of TFC, and left to form MFS, taking 99% of the following with them.
in the early years of MFS thanks mainly to "le tits" champion league, things were very hectic as we all chased points. it was new and a talking point. matches were quickly oversubscribed . so what happened???. WELL as with all things in this world, life moves on. of the original gang ( to my knowledge) only pikes, affers, rickstar and myself remain active. the rest are now doing other things like grandkids and relationships with the opposite sex AKA the enemy of angling. some run pubs , others went away and built their own fishery, some play in a band , they play golf, some even reached the top by winning a big comp. most just got old, now age is a funny thing, whilst you like fishing , you find not wanting to travel 200 miles becomes an issue, so you quietly disappear from view. its not intentional but just happens without you actually realising it.

SO with the site slowly becoming a south east based site, and the then administrator taking his eye off the ball , the inevitable happens, as it did previously. people move on, they formed another site , free to all but alas mainly again south east. that is the way it is, whatever people come up with , that will not change. in the S/E you have 90% of the country's top match venue's, well supported because the fishing is top class, so therefor people want to be a part of that match scene. the remainder have all either quit fishing or gone elsewhere as i have previously stated.
what will happen however is someone will come up with something different, and people will move on , that's the way of the world and always will be. so i say to the facebook followers enjoy your time and gather memories, they will not last no matter what you think.

what are we left with ???. well as you have read above not a lot. our base has moved on/ grown old, we that are left will like all old soldiers will carry on until our bodies give up, we will concentrate on our 6 annual events where possible, and enjoy each others company, much like old reunions. our next venture is the annual freeze fest at the moor, its 20% about fishing and 80 % about the gettogether nowadays for most of us. lots of food and drink and going out to the draw wearing 4 coats with a hangover.

what can we do to promote this site beyond its current boundaries. ???
sadly without a major injection of prize money, very little. so folks just enjoy what you have, you will never have it again. MFS is a one off, and i have loved every minute and everyone involved. i have got to know some terrific people and quite a few ass@oles, in my phone i have 400 names 75% anglers i have met on MFS/TFC, at anyone time i can call each and everyone and be greeted as a family member. you cannot buy that, its what MFS gave me, and i treasure that above all else in this world.
I agree with almost everything you have said Herbie, however, "in the S/E you have 90% of the country's top match venues"......behave and dont be daft........................but you did make me laugh!

gooner67

Jan 4, 2012
waltham abbey
reading through this thread there are quite a few assumptions being made about facebook and the success or lack of according to some ITK members
As some of you maybe aware FAL was set up when the old MFS was all but dead and there was uncertainty if it would continue in any form. its main aim was not to detract from MFS but to run alongside it and give anglers choice in its first year we had over 190 anglers from all over the country fish our league matches and membership of the facebook page is currently running at around 1400 with on average 20+ members joining every week

i also saw some comments on this thread about canceling matches well i can set that one straight not one match has been canceled so far and infact in our second season every match has been filled with a healthy waiting list our Christmas match sold out within 6 minutes of being posted and at present has a waiting list of 15+

Im a great believer in the fact that you will only get results if you put in the work and with a high class sponsor and matches that people want to attend plus the hard work of the admin team it will only go from strength to strength

Pikey

Nov 11, 2008
reading through this thread there are quite a few assumptions being made about facebook and the success or lack of according to some ITK members
As some of you maybe aware FAL was set up when the old MFS was all but dead and there was uncertainty if it would continue in any form. its main aim was not to detract from MFS but to run alongside it and give anglers choice in its first year we had over 190 anglers from all over the country fish our league matches and membership of the facebook page is currently running at around 1400 with on average 20+ members joining every week

i also saw some comments on this thread about canceling matches well i can set that one straight not one match has been canceled so far and infact in our second season every match has been filled with a healthy waiting list our Christmas match sold out within 6 minutes of being posted and at present has a waiting list of 15+

Im a great believer in the fact that you will only get results if you put in the work and with a high class sponsor and matches that people want to attend plus the hard work of the admin team it will only go from strength to strength

Not interested in a "Our site is better than yours" exchange - But thought I should point this one out

From Carl re his Gold Valley Match

Evening all. I have cancelled this match. Tried my hardest on facebook etc but we have only got 9, also they wanted to move us onto Syndicate, I don't know if this is a bad thing but it's not what I booked.

I will be issuing refunds out during this week.

fuctifikno

Nov 28, 2018
Tied to a pc
www.aamf.co.uk
Full Name
Paul Law
If you want MFS to move forward you need to embrace Facebook NO ifs NO buts NO "if facey can match this come and see me",

Forums don't work so well anymore, pay to join forums work even less they are the perfect place for storing info and that's about it, turn it into an information portal

I love a stat and have been following the stats from here maggotdrowners from my site and from Facebook and trust me the only time your going to get extra input is when a post like say what Dave has just posted little digs etc, it was a bit like that old "with all due respect comment" or the word But'
you know everything before the word is either bullshit or there to get attention, and with all due respect your just being called a cnut

Facebook has the ability to generate huge numbers over a very short space of time if the content is what people want and is current, a good example is matches you don't have to wait for people to stumble upon them its in their face from the offset, one of the chats I belong to its basically your chatbox its reasonably active and people don't have to flick back and forth its all there in one place, its extremely efficient at connecting people.

Dave just a note on Gold Valley when Jonny Sultana changed the venue I told Carl to tell him to shove it where the sun don't shine Im not having fisheries change venues on us at the last minute people booked on a certain lake its unfair to move it even though some still wanted to fish.

And why im here ( had to make a new account) Zinky I don't understand why you keep digging out BNF I wasn't particularly a fan and there were some issues with the CL funds, but you seem to forget he was responsible for most of the members here, he got probably all of the sponsorship, he run most of the bigger competitions to a reasonably high standard he done s*** loads for this site and put it on the map in a big way, its quite poor blaming the worker when the owners failed to keep a tag on him.

Zinky

Administrator
Oct 17, 2008
Cheshire
Full Name
Chris Royle
Welcome back Mr Law you still puffing like a daddie

By the way your account looks ok from the part I can see, not sure why you can’t login

gooner67

Jan 4, 2012
waltham abbey
Not interested in a "Our site is better than yours" exchange - But thought I should point this one out

From Carl re his Gold Valley Match

Evening all. I have cancelled this match. Tried my hardest on facebook etc but we have only got 9, also they wanted to move us onto Syndicate, I don't know if this is a bad thing but it's not what I booked.

I will be issuing refunds out during this week.
Love that one David the first line of your post and yet you scroll through messages to prove me wrong !

As Mr law said gold valley was always going to be a hot potato when carlos booked it he was warned that he would struggle to fill it as people vote with their feet and it was not on the top of many's go to list add to the fact that Rasion is about as trustworthy as a brexit minister carlos had no choice but to pull it .

im also a little a little surprised at your response as it stinks of points scoring and coming from someone that was absolutely up for FAL when it first started im struggling to see where it comes from.

When we started FAL i made a conscious decision not to fish MFS matches for the first season in order to build what we had started but by that same token i religiously checked on here for match bookings and ensured that any matches we booked on FAL did not clash with any in the same area booked on MFS (out of respect to fellow MO's which sadly was not reciprocated )

ive made a lot of good friends and met up with old friends through MFS and when i first joined it represented what i was looking for from my fishing. but as Herbie has said times change and people move on and what i now what from my fishing is no longer just fishing with the same 18/20 people every week but meeting new anglers and and more old friends that i havent seen in years which is something the old MFS gave me and FAL now does

herbie

Jan 7, 2009
Trowbridge, Wiltshire
Full Name
Irvine Michael Hornby
Have any matches north of the thames been sell outs gooner ?? except the glebe all the action on both sites is beyond the M25 mostly in the south east.
We do not excist to mirror your facebook club and never will. We will continue to run events to suit MFS members whenever we like, without apologies for clashes . We are well aware of our shortcomings and really do not require reminding whenever your feeling a tad insecure.
I have re read this thread and can find no mention in name of your site at all, so quite why on the spur of the moment you decided to re enlighten us is at best a mystery. However it was nice to hear from you.
As for facebook . Well when you can serve the whole of the country then as previously stated , come see me and i will join you. Until that day arrives we will continue to fail