2019 S/M silvers week report .

herbie

Jan 7, 2009
Trowbridge, Wiltshire
Full Name
Irvine Michael Hornby
before i begin may i just point out to the grammar police that i will not be using capitals, and some of my ramblings may even not include enough paragraphs, comma's , full stops. there is many reasons for this , here are a few. i left school at 15 to become a trainee fireman on british rail, having spent the previous year as a bookies runner , at bellvue and white city dog tracks in manchester. i only attended school on wednesdays (football) ,and did not give a crap for education and still don't. i have and never will have any educational qualifications,
secondly i am old and cannot be assed with pressing the caps lock every bl**** time the grammar police would like me too. finally i dont give a rats asshole .
now thats out of the way, onward we go.

the week leading up to the S/M week was spent looking at weather forecasts as always, answering questions from excited kiddies, talking to over excited anglers late into the night , discussing every single peg in great detail, and deciding it's going to be very hard. pessimism comes natural to anglers before an event, all they really need is a father figure to reassure them before they go to bed. so with all angles covered , mostly by leaving everything to ken and affers , i set out looking forward to the best week of any year.
off to a bad start.
every year i have the same routine. leave trowbridge at 8am, drive to morrisons in tiverton and eat what is in my opinion , the best breakfast in europe. i get some shopping. and then drive to the moor. i then go to the local store on the airfield , meet toplights and have another breakfast . this time not wanting two breakies i decided to miss tiverton. and drive to the airfield. when i got there i found it closed, and in the process of being auctioned off. so i went from billy 2 breakfasts to billy no breakfast. so i found malc , and with the help of a local found a lovely little cafe just past zuki's. great food and great company.
meanwhile affers had organised a match on pines and woodpecker. pegging was tight what with 6 on woodpecker and 5 on pines , but i heard no complaints. briefly watched pete bailey picking their pockets, and proceeded to the former "lodge of plenty",( alas standards have been allowed to slip ). by this time familiar faces were appearing, full of hope, and optimism, how i missed them throughout the year, its always for me a family reunion, i cannot overstate my regard for these wonderful anglers. chilli turned up bearing gifts consisting of magic sausages , bacon and triangular black pudding, not to mention enough eggs for the whole site. also six packs of the best ham i have ever tasted. he's a good lad .
saturday night was a meal in the rams head , which i have to say under the conditions was handled very nicely and the food was great. we have the team draw with the usual shouts of fixed, but to be honest no one team stood out as results proved. back to the lodge to await the roving band of cockernies and asbo's , accompanied by mr bailey bearing gifts, food and groundbait for me, not forgetting worms , as always i am grateful to pete , who is at times much misunderstood because of his great abilities and his poor estimating skills , but has a heart of gold.

footnote here , anyone expecting this to be about fishing and results stop reading now. too old to remember who did what or where.

sundays match was a bit of an eye opener, saturdays weights were very good, but considering the addition of anglers and lack of space LOL, sundays were excellent. a good omen for things to come. i drew pines 10 ... enough said about that . sunday night was a treat , our chef who shall remain nameless , failed to rise in time to cook breakfast, so he redeemed himself by cooking it for dinner. it was as it always is with winters butchers meat, a very enjoyable meal. ther chef was forgiven . we had the usual visitors who entertained us with stories past. this folks for those yet to attend, is the very thing that makes this week. its not stafford moor, not the fishing, not the weather, but the people , the characters with their stories , most of which can never be published.

monday day one of the festival. ken and affers worked their magic, paul sorted the pegs, i just shouted abuse, mostly at my favourite cockerney gooner gregory. off we went all equal for the moment, full of hope, what fools we are lol. beatties was in along with tanners/woodpecker/ and pines. i moved up pines two pegs to no 8. again enough said. previous during my visits to the moor , paul had told me of their efforts regards restocking. worried that his efforts were not showing in the results, he was as expected nervous, he had no need , it fished its tits off as it did all week . anglers i spoke to previous had told me there are not many skimmers left and wondered why?. it just goes to show how fickle fishing can be. we averaged over 15lb a man, all week . 505lb a day. and 2500 lb was the total fish caught . around 70% skimbobs.
monday night saw us off to the "duke of york" local pub in the middle of nowhere, which was to become our local. we arrived in style in lewy's state of the art car . more bl**** lights that a fairground, and more gadgets than a nasa spaceship. i had the "steak and kidney pudding which was to die for , big al had a mixed grill which was bigger than he was. great food in a great pub, full of anglers from all over GB. mix in a few locals and you have a receipt for contentment. sat in the rocking chair , by an open fire with friends is about as good as life gets.

tuesday saw us in our sections on different lakes . i drew woodpecker 15 lol , the usual superstars did the business and one particular bandit was showing his face. rob ( i only practiced twice) anker, a group four angler was holding his own with the baileys,bens, and asbos. a thorough investigation will be held this spring. again the weights were superb, the L.O.Plenty even had a breakfast, the sun was shining, it was t shirt weather . it does not get better than this when your old , take my word for it. back to the duke, fish and chips, sit by the fire, usual banter, all for 200 quid a week . one angler a former fisho winner clive wright was aptly welcomed into the MFS family and was christened "sick note" simple because he made the mistake of telling me he had a cold . silly boy he will carry that to his grave.

wednesday fishing was great, weather was ridiculous. weights were brilliant. in the evening we all went to okehampton for a curry , well 24 of us. we do this every year , in the past it has always been the highlight of the week, this year did not disappoint. looking around at one point all i could see were waiters with huge handfuls on man breads , enough to feed a small town . god knows where these people put it all .

thursday was much the same except the wind changed , and we had a storm coming from the atlantic, bit blowy a little rain but hell it was still 14 degree's. bl**** stupid .

by friday most of the usual culprits were flagging, the big boys were grouped together on pines, it was like a doctors surgery, very quiet and concentration intense. we went back to the rams head for a roast meal which did not disappoint, handed the trophy to pete bailey for the second time, distributed £1600 in prizes and thanked jo and paul for a fabulous week. i thanked all and went home.

this week away is and will always be the highlight of my year. made possible ( and forgive me for repeating this) by great people who as a collective come together as a family. i have my faith in people of this country restored every year, long may it continue.

Hathers

Jan 8, 2009
Stamford Bridge
Full Name
Mark Hathway
Super, Smashing, Nice

.................Geordie Al Mac, bagging 24 ozs on Beatties on Day 4, dropping to Group 4 and then robbing everyone on Day 5.....nasty

Toplights

Jan 13, 2009
West Molesey
Full Name
Malcolm Heaver.
Good read Herbs, can't wait for next year. Great bunch of lads. Have to give the northan lads a mention seven hours each way, u ft
now that's dedication.

RobB

Jan 5, 2009
Bollington
Full Name
Robert Bailey
before i begin may i just point out to the grammar police that i will not be using capitals, and some of my ramblings may even not include enough paragraphs, comma's , full stops. there is many reasons for this , here are a few. i left school at 15 to become a trainee fireman on british rail, having spent the previous year as a bookies runner , at bellvue and white city dog tracks in manchester. i only attended school on wednesdays (football) ,and did not give a crap for education and still don't. i have and never will have any educational qualifications,
secondly i am old and cannot be assed with pressing the caps lock every bl**** time the grammar police would like me too. finally i dont give a rats asshole .
now thats out of the way, onward we go.

the week leading up to the S/M week was spent looking at weather forecasts as always, answering questions from excited kiddies, talking to over excited anglers late into the night , discussing every single peg in great detail, and deciding it's going to be very hard. pessimism comes natural to anglers before an event, all they really need is a father figure to reassure them before they go to bed. so with all angles covered , mostly by leaving everything to ken and affers , i set out looking forward to the best week of any year.
off to a bad start.
every year i have the same routine. leave trowbridge at 8am, drive to morrisons in tiverton and eat what is in my opinion , the best breakfast in europe. i get some shopping. and then drive to the moor. i then go to the local store on the airfield , meet toplights and have another breakfast . this time not wanting two breakies i decided to miss tiverton. and drive to the airfield. when i got there i found it closed, and in the process of being auctioned off. so i went from billy 2 breakfasts to billy no breakfast. so i found malc , and with the help of a local found a lovely little cafe just past zuki's. great food and great company.
meanwhile affers had organised a match on pines and woodpecker. pegging was tight what with 6 on woodpecker and 5 on pines , but i heard no complaints. briefly watched pete bailey picking their pockets, and proceeded to the former "lodge of plenty",( alas standards have been allowed to slip ). by this time familiar faces were appearing, full of hope, and optimism, how i missed them throughout the year, its always for me a family reunion, i cannot overstate my regard for these wonderful anglers. chilli turned up bearing gifts consisting of magic sausages , bacon and triangular black pudding, not to mention enough eggs for the whole site. also six packs of the best ham i have ever tasted. he's a good lad .
saturday night was a meal in the rams head , which i have to say under the conditions was handled very nicely and the food was great. we have the team draw with the usual shouts of fixed, but to be honest no one team stood out as results proved. back to the lodge to await the roving band of cockernies and asbo's , accompanied by mr bailey bearing gifts, food and groundbait for me, not forgetting worms , as always i am grateful to pete , who is at times much misunderstood because of his great abilities and his poor estimating skills , but has a heart of gold.

footnote here , anyone expecting this to be about fishing and results stop reading now. too old to remember who did what or where.

sundays match was a bit of an eye opener, saturdays weights were very good, but considering the addition of anglers and lack of space LOL, sundays were excellent. a good omen for things to come. i drew pines 10 ... enough said about that . sunday night was a treat , our chef who shall remain nameless , failed to rise in time to cook breakfast, so he redeemed himself by cooking it for dinner. it was as it always is with winters butchers meat, a very enjoyable meal. ther chef was forgiven . we had the usual visitors who entertained us with stories past. this folks for those yet to attend, is the very thing that makes this week. its not stafford moor, not the fishing, not the weather, but the people , the characters with their stories , most of which can never be published.

monday day one of the festival. ken and affers worked their magic, paul sorted the pegs, i just shouted abuse, mostly at my favourite cockerney gooner gregory. off we went all equal for the moment, full of hope, what fools we are lol. beatties was in along with tanners/woodpecker/ and pines. i moved up pines two pegs to no 8. again enough said. previous during my visits to the moor , paul had told me of their efforts regards restocking. worried that his efforts were not showing in the results, he was as expected nervous, he had no need , it fished its tits off as it did all week . anglers i spoke to previous had told me there are not many skimmers left and wondered why?. it just goes to show how fickle fishing can be. we averaged over 15lb a man, all week . 505lb a day. and 2500 lb was the total fish caught . around 70% skimbobs.
monday night saw us off to the "duke of york" local pub in the middle of nowhere, which was to become our local. we arrived in style in lewy's state of the art car . more bl**** lights that a fairground, and more gadgets than a nasa spaceship. i had the "steak and kidney pudding which was to die for , big al had a mixed grill which was bigger than he was. great food in a great pub, full of anglers from all over GB. mix in a few locals and you have a receipt for contentment. sat in the rocking chair , by an open fire with friends is about as good as life gets.

tuesday saw us in our sections on different lakes . i drew woodpecker 15 lol , the usual superstars did the business and one particular bandit was showing his face. rob ( i only practiced twice) anker, a group four angler was holding his own with the baileys,bens, and asbos. a thorough investigation will be held this spring. again the weights were superb, the L.O.Plenty even had a breakfast, the sun was shining, it was t shirt weather . it does not get better than this when your old , take my word for it. back to the duke, fish and chips, sit by the fire, usual banter, all for 200 quid a week . one angler a former fisho winner clive wright was aptly welcomed into the MFS family and was christened "sick note" simple because he made the mistake of telling me he had a cold . silly boy he will carry that to his grave.

wednesday fishing was great, weather was ridiculous. weights were brilliant. in the evening we all went to okehampton for a curry , well 24 of us. we do this every year , in the past it has always been the highlight of the week, this year did not disappoint. looking around at one point all i could see were waiters with huge handfuls on man breads , enough to feed a small town . god knows where these people put it all .

thursday was much the same except the wind changed , and we had a storm coming from the atlantic, bit blowy a little rain but hell it was still 14 degree's. bl**** stupid .

by friday most of the usual culprits were flagging, the big boys were grouped together on pines, it was like a doctors surgery, very quiet and concentration intense. we went back to the rams head for a roast meal which did not disappoint, handed the trophy to pete bailey for the second time, distributed £1600 in prizes and thanked jo and paul for a fabulous week. i thanked all and went home.

this week away is and will always be the highlight of my year. made possible ( and forgive me for repeating this) by great people who as a collective come together as a family. i have my faith in people of this country restored every year, long may it continue.

Toplights

Jan 13, 2009
West Molesey
Full Name
Malcolm Heaver.
Thanks Herbie, this is truly the best weeks fishing in the calendar. This one especially, the weather was just superb and the fishing and company the very finest. Looking forward to next years already.

Will do a write up with groundbait mixes, rigs etc for anyone interested.
I will be reading that with great interest Peter, thank you.

RobB

Jan 5, 2009
Bollington
Full Name
Robert Bailey
Thanks Herbie, this is truly the best weeks fishing in the calendar. This one especially, the weather was just superb and the fishing and company the very finest. Looking forward to next years already.

Will do a write up with groundbait mixes, rigs etc for anyone interested.
And how to estimate your catch weight? :o-o::roflmao::tongue: